Dental Emergencies can happen at any time. We know they can be painful and distressing, but it is important that you try not to panic. Instead, see if you can contact your Emergency Dentist for immediate advice.
If we are unable to answer your call, please leave a voicemail for us, as we monitor voicemails out of hours. Typically with Dental Emergencies, we may contact patients outside of our normal working hours to ensure we can offer you the best possible care as early as possible.
What Is A Dental Emergency?
We appreciate that a Dental Emergency may mean different things to different people, but typically, we consider the following to require emergency dental treatment:
- Facial swelling
- A dental abscess
- A lost crown or lost filling causing significant pain
- Severe toothache
- Continuous bleeding from the mouth
- A tooth that has been broken or knocked due to trauma
- Injuries to the cheek, jaw or lips
Why Is It Important To See An Emergency Dentist Straight Away?
There are three main reasons to see an emergency dentist as soon as you can:
- There is a higher chance a tooth can be saved if treated as soon as possible after an injury, knock or fall. If a piece of tooth has broken off, it is advisable to take it with you to your dentist, as they may be able to replace it
- The quicker you see a dentist the less time you are in pain. You can avoid unnecessary and prolonged pain by seeking treatment quickly. Sometimes dental pain can escalate and get worse over time – this can be avoided if treated earlier
- You can reduce the chance or spread of infection. Infection is a concern for any type of injury and the longer an infection is untreated, the more potential damage it can cause. Therefore, for all the reasons above it is important to see dental care as soon as possible if you experience any form of emergency or dental pain.
At Thames Street Dental, we are here for all your dental emergency needs. Our team are caring and friendly and always willing to help as we wouldn’t want anyone to be in any pain or discomfort. If you need us, feel free to give us a call on 0208 5466546 or contact us via our website.